How to get stuff done with the Pomodoro Technique...
One of the biggest problems for me in concentrating while working. I know what I need to do, but sitting down to get it done is easier said than done. As much as I like to tell myself it's all part of the getting inspired during the creative process, deep down I know that I'm talking nonsense.
Don't get me wrong, getting lost in a black hole of Youtube is glorious, but it's even more enjoyable if you feel you've earned it. One strategy I have found that works for me the Pomodoro Technique.
The Pomodoro Technique is a time management method developed by Francesco Cirillo in the late 1980s. The technique uses a timer to break down work into intervals traditionally 25 minutes in length, separated by short breaks. These intervals are known as "pomodori", the plural of the Italian word pomodoro for "tomato". The method is based on the idea that frequent breaks can improve mental agility.
This works really well for me as it's much easier to focus on something in 25 mins instead of say 2 hours. We all know that feeling of having to rush to something to get it in on time, well this replicates that urgency and that is vital in making sure you get stuff done.
There are five basic steps to implementing the technique:
- Decide on the task to be done
- Set the pomodoro timer to n minutes (traditionally 25mins)
- Work on the task until the timer rings; record with an x
- Take a short break (3–5 minutes)
- After four pomodori, take a longer break (15–30 minutes)
Here is a video to watch that explains it better...
- The official website: http://pomodorotechnique.com/
- If you don't have a Pomodoro, you can use this timer: http://tomato-timer.com/
- Install the free Tomighty app: http://www.tomighty.org/
In future posts I'll be discussing everything from how to build an audience, increasing creative flow to using overlays and actions on Photoshop to save time, but would love to know what you are struggling with? I want my content to be valuable to you and what would you like help with.
Please connect with me and let me know and I'll feature it in future posts.